Monday 27 February 2012

Mac and Bean Florentine

Stolen from : Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker

Serves 4

  • 4.5L slow cooker
  • 250g macaroni
  • 300g cooked spinach
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 100g raw unsalted cashews
  • 300g cooked white beans or 1 tin of same (I used Cannellini)
  • 1 tblspoon miso (optional)
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp dry mustard powder
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne
  • pinch ground nutmeg
  • salt
  • water
  1. Cook the macaroni to al dente
  2. Cook the onions (I boil mine, you can fry if you like)
  3. Grind cashews, add 200ml water and make a paste so it doesn't lump later
  4. Put everything in the slow cooker, give it a right good stir
  5. Cook on low for 3+ hours

I wasn't expecting much once I'd mixed it all together but the flavours come alive in the cooking. While eating it, I wanted a side salad, that would have been perfect. Only 3 stars because it didn't wow but might have done with bread, balsamic & salad.
Surprisingly unfilling

No comments: